Poljane grammar school dates back to 1889, when it was originally established as a lower secondary school. In 1900, it expanded into an upper secondary school and was renamed the 2nd Royal State Secondary School of Ljubljana. School reforms throughout the turbulent 20th century brought numerous changes to its name and curriculum. Nevertheless, Poljane remained true to its grammar school traditions.
Today, the age of our school is only apparent in the architecture of its building, erected in 1907. Nearly one thousand students and just over 80 employees work in its renovated classrooms, equipped with modern teaching aids and equipment. Through the use of modern teaching methods, the school is successfully continuing its century-long tradition as one of the finest and largest Slovenian grammar schools.
Our school offers two grammar school programmes – the general and the classical, with both programmes remaining consciously faithful to providing broad education by developing skills in all subjects. Students at our school can choose between six modern foreign languages (English, German, Spanish, French, Russian and Italian) as well as Latin. Though grammar school students are required to take two foreign languages, most of our students opt for a third modern language as well.